Sunday, January 12, 2020

A book review omnibus

I was planning on doing individual posts for each of these books, but given how faulty my memory is when it comes to books I've read weeks or months ago, I decided just to do a quick review in a single post.

NYPD Red - James Patterson & Marshall Karp. Not a bad book, but I'm not sure if I'll read any of the sequels. Very much reads like one of those cops shows you'd see on a broadcast network like ABC or CBS.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

The Sins of the Father - Lawrence Block. I'm most definitely a fan of the Matthew Scudder series. I think this is where I decided that I was going to like detective fiction. Scudder is a flawed, but noble man. I plan on writing a whole post about him sometime this year.

Rating: 8 out of 10.

Time to Murder and Create - Lawrence Block. See above.

Rating: 8 out of 10.

The Godwulf Manuscript - Robert B. Parker. So I pretty much read this because I have vague memories of watching reruns of Spenser: For Hire with my mom back when I was a kiddo. The book was very short, but told a good story for its length. Not a great book, but good enough to make me want to read more in the series.

Rating: 7 out of 10.

Last Bus to Woodstock - Colin Dexter. This book had more red herrings like a cannery. Did not expect the reveal of who the killer was at all and I loved it. The only thing keeping me from reading the next book is that none of the libraries in my area have it.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment