Wednesday, November 1, 2017

I've pretty much committed myself to the mystery genre

And maybe I ought to be committed!

So anyways, the public library in my town does a book sale twice a year and the second one was last week. The last two days are a bag sale where you can fill up a bag for $3 ($1 on the last day) and it's one of my favorite times of the year because I can stock up on books for cheap. Now, in the past, I've had a habit of buying a ton of books and unfortunately never reading them, so this time I went a different route. They didn't have much in the way of science fiction and fantasy that piqued my interest, so I decided to focus on buying mysteries instead.

And buy, did I ever. Counting the ones I already owned, I now have an entire small bookcase full of mystery novels. There's too many to name individually, but here's a rundown on all I grabbed:

Twelve of Martha Grimes' Richard Jury
Nine of Tony Hillerman's Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee and John Sandford's Lucas Davenport
Seven of Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey
Two Alexander McCall Smith (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and The Sunday Philosophy Club), John Mortimer (Rumpole and another book), and Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford
One Sue Grafton, Dennis Lehane, Jo Nesbo, and Karin Slaughter.

So yeah, it's a lot. I plan on easing myself into the genre rather than diving headfirst. I've read a few mysteries before, so that should help the transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment